Bugs


I've always had this strange affinity for bugs. I remember as a 9th grader both the excitement and angst of doing my biology insect collection. I loved learning about these critters, catching them, but sticking those big beautiful butterflies and fascinating grasshoppers into a bottle of cyanide ... Oh well, such is research. Singapore has lots of bugs, the difference between Singapore bugs and California bugs is that the former are bigger, more prolific and more aggressive. At any one time I can find at least three or four different species of ants crawling around the house. Moths and butterflies are always finding their way in at night time, attracted by the lights. So also an assortment of wasps; but they always seem to come inside to die. Very different from central California wasp in the summer time - very bad tempers. They'll sting you as much as look at you.

Usually when larger insects wander inside I try and help them back outside. I won't say that for the ants - sorry to say it's a war of attrition with ants. But large solitary insects, such as the pictured orthoptera - some sort of grasshopper - that wandered in last night while I was on the computer. He/She just flopped onto the floor behind me. I found an empty bottle, set it down over him, so he could crawl inside. Slipping a piece of scratch paper at the opening, I picked up the bottle and examined it closely. I suspect the grasshopper was doing the same with me.

I can't say we had any close encounter or "I-Thou" experience. I just took the critter outside to the nearest overhanging leafy tree branch and let him go.

I opt for a creation theology that affirms an inherent capacity within all of creation to praise God.

"Praise the LORD from the earth, you sea monsters and all deeps, fire and hail, snow and frost, stormy wind fulfilling his command! Mountains and all hills, fruit trees and all cedars! Wild animals and all cattle, creeping things and flying birds!" - Psalm 148

--georgos

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Retirement and Lung Disease - The New Journey

Acts of giving thanks (Guest Writer: Walt Martzen)

The seige of Gondor and my health condition